Saturday, July 19, 2014

MTC Week #1

Bonjour!!!!!

I'm guessing you haven't got the letter sent in the mail saying my pday was tuesday... I should have told karli to tell you guys. Anyway, thank you so much for the fudge, knowing me, Its probably going to last me the entire 6 weeks. wow so much to say about the mtc. So my companion is sister Bernhisel. She is from portland oregon. never taken french before (so we're both struggling together). I don't even know where to begin... My district is the best! There's another sister companionship and then three companionships of elders.  we have an elder from London and an elder from New Zealand.  We all get along really well! 
 French is going okay.... it literally is amazing but also really hard. We taught our first lesson on friday and it was a disaster... my companion had written down what she wanted to say, but she didn't know where we were in the conversation, so I had to do everything... which I realized how much I actually remember which is such a blessing. But I could barely even understand our investigator (denise). And if I did understand her I didn't know how to say what I wanted to say. But I seriously was given the gift of tongues. We had been taught how to pray and bare our testimony and I improvised on my testimony! haha never thought I would have the guts for that, but it happened. Well we've taught her twice since then and the first two times we didn't feel the spirit, but last time, I felt it! which is super exciting seeing there's a language barrier. Also we committed her to read the book of mormon and to come to church and we asked her if she knew that what we taught was true, would she be baptized. She said yes!!!!! we were the first ones to somewhat commit her to baptism, she gave everyone else a hard time. But I think that we worded it in a way that made sense to her and didnt scare her. Anyway, in the language I am doing amazing at understanding what is being said. I can roughly translate what it means, but I dont know how to respond.... so Its great that I can understand whats being said. But I kind of just make something up. I've gotten really good at rephrasing sentences into a way that's easy for me to translate. 

I thought adjusting to the mtc would be difficult, but it just feels normal. I thought it would be weird not having my phone and not being able to talk to everyone when I want to. But it doesnt feel weird. The food is pretty much gross though. All I can really trust and like are the hamburgers for lunch and dinner. for breakfast I have cereal and boiled eggs. but they don't really fill me up. but oh well. 

For gym all of the french sister missionaries go play soccer and apparently I should have played soccer cause I'm really good at defense, and offense. But seriously I'm doing all these fancy soccer moves, not even knowing what i'm doing.

Yesterday our teacher told us that during lunch, we can only speak in french and i didn't realize how easy it would be. I did fine for only 4 days of learning french.  I don't know what else to tell you, but send tons of packages!!!!! An elder got in the mail from dear elder yesterday two packages. one was a box of cookies, and another was a box with a 6 pack of soda haha. I don't want these things but any food would be nice. Also write me on dearelder.com. I will get it the same day you send it so I can hear from you throughout the week which is nice. I'll send another email with pictures, if I can get it to work. But just so you know I will be online for another 30 minutes. so hopefully i hear from some of you now. 

I should be writing at this time for the rest of the mtc (10 - 10:30 AM Pacific). I go to the temple at 8 am and then come straight back and email before lunch at 11:30.Just so you know for future reference. Sorry for all the emails. but the computer was only allowing me to attach 1 picture per email. Since I didn't hear from you all today,if you want me to get your responses today or tomorrow, just dearelder.com me please! (Rosalee Farmer, Unit #56, Estimated departure date 19 Aug) I'd love to hear from you. 

Je vous aime! 

Soeur (Sister) Farmer

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time I taught about John the Baptist ordaining Joseph Smith. The discussion explains that he laid his hands upon Joseph's head. The word for hands, in Portugues is "mãos", which is VERY close to the word "meias", which means socks...The native Brasilian, whom we were passing our discussion off to could not hold back the laughter, when I reverently said, "John the Baptist placed his socks on Joseph Smith's head..."

    ReplyDelete